Friday, April 12, 2019

Doing What You're Called to Do

Have you ever felt a sense of urgency to do something? Like you just feel like you have to get out there and paint or help people in some way or you feel like you want to run, drive, or just go? (Am I the only one?) 

Several years ago, I had that feeling. I thought it was because I was watching a lot of MacGyver episodes, so at first, I chalked it up to the fact that I needed to watch less television! But the feeling persisted, so I did what any rational thirty-something adult with 8 children would do: I enrolled in a rock climbing course at the recreation center...and enrolled in the community college's Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B) course! I know, it's not exactly a rational sounding path to trod, but nonetheless, I began to walk down that road.

I really enjoyed the rock climbing and EMT classes! I did great in both and on the national registry exam, too. But as a 35 year old mother of 8 kids from 15 to 1 year old, I just couldn't justify paying for daycare or working nights to fulfill this career. So I worked in a lab instead. 



A few years later, I felt that same sense of urgency again! But now, we were living in Florida, and I knew working in the medical field was not the path to take not to mention that rock climbing was a joke in that sea level terrain. It was then that this blog, "Super Mom the Illusion," was born! I began to write about my grown children going through so many changes as young adults and my mother's heart to want to keep them small so I could protect them. I wrote about every day activities we were doing, places we had gone, and what life was like living in a travel trailer and homeschooling 5 children. The more I wrote, the more I knew...I really knew...THIS is what that sense of urgency was all about!

Even now, as I'm sitting at the computer, pouring my heart and feelings out, it's like I'm running and feeling a release, like I'm doing what I was called to do! I think I've always known this is what I'm supposed to be doing, but sometimes there are other things that I'm good at that I think, "I'm called to do this!" When really, I'm not. Does this sound familiar?

The fact is, if you search your heart and mind, you probably already know what you're called to do. But for one reason or another, you aren't doing it. It's time to stop making excuses (I don't have the money, the time, the patience, the talent, the strength, the brains), stop doubting what God wants you to do (Is God really asking me to go, to do, to create, to be), and it's high time you get started doing it!

That sense of urgency is not going to go away by you filling your day with other busy activities and events! You will only feel that sweet release when you finally tell the Lord, "I'll go where you send me and do what you've called me to do!"

I'd love for you to share your story of doing what you've been called to do!


Lyn~
Come for the journey, stay for the friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment