Thursday, October 11, 2012

Week 2--Engage!!



The words and actions of others do indeed tend to shape us, good or bad.  I remember growing up, my grandmother would say things to my mother like, “I don’t know why those girls are wasting their time and yours going to Fort Lauderdale to a performing arts high school.  No one in this family ever amounted to a hill of beans, and they won’t either!”  Well, my twin sister and I aren’t performing on Broadway, but I am involved in community theatre and my sister…is a teacher!  She’s got performances Mondays through Fridays with a captive audience from about 8 a.m. until 3 p.m.  And I may not be the actor I had once aspired to be, but I am a writer; that is the thing God called me to be so many years ago as a child. 
When my sister and I were little, we played two things: newsroom and school.  I was always the big TV news anchor and she was the weather girl, then we would switch; she was the teacher and I was the student!  I’m not writing or reporting news for a big network either, but that’s not what God has called me to do.  I am a writer.  I AM a writer.  I did major in journalism in college, and took classes that interested me very much!  One class I had was called “Voice and Presentation,” and my professor very kindly attempted to point out that since I was an older, non-traditional student...I had a beautiful face for radio.  Wait a minute!  Did he just say I wasn’t pretty enough to be a television news anchor?!  In a manner of speaking, he did.  But that’s not what God called me to be either!
I was created to write!  Ever since I was a child, I remember writing just for the fun of it.  As I grew older, I investigated things that piqued my curiosity and wrote about such things as multiple sclerosis, foreign and domestic adoption, space, and James Michener—just because I wanted to write about what I had discovered!  I was also a script-writing maniac!  I wrote several plays throughout high school, but sadly, those have been lost.  Casualties of my parents’ divorce and then at some point mine and my husband’s moves across the country.  It was in 2005 that I felt the Lord prompting me to begin writing a book.  After three years, that original piece was published in my college literary magazine, and it felt amazing to have my work in print, not just printed from my computer!  Today, I am working on completing one book while in the process of writing another.  I know the Lord has plans for these books, and I put them in His loving and merciful hands. 


I ask you to consider these questions:
·         What were you playing as a child? 
·         Is that something that has followed you throughout your life? 
·         Have you asked the Lord how that “thing” might be preparing you for your calling at an appointed time and place?
       How can others pray for you in the realization of your calling?

      If you feel comfortable to do so, I would love for you to share your thoughts, questions, or experiences on the Super Mom the Illusion Facebook page!

1 comment:

  1. As a child I always played that I had twins. I always asked Santa for 2 baby dolls exactly alike. When I was expecting my first child, I secretly wanted to have twins, and God blessed me with surprise twins. Full-term, unknown to the doctors until they were born. I also played secretary, raiding the desk trash can for discarded junk mail. Always had a phone and my Mom's old typewriter. My first position was doing secretarial work at a local bank. I also played school with my younger brother, and as an adult taught nursery school for about 5 years. Later, I held an adminstrative assistant and executive secretary position for a large church, assisting 3 priests. I don't know why as a senior I enjoy working with paper so much, but I do. Creating such things as paper quilling, scrapbooks, cards, etc. I am also not clear on what "thing" the Lord might be preparing me for, or how others can pray for me in the realization of my calling. I AM promised that God has a purpose for me. But it has been fun to think about what I used to play as a child. Perhaps the Lord will speak to me about my calling through those thoughts.

    ReplyDelete