God intended us to only worship Him. In fact, He says so in the Ten Commandments:
It's not enough that we choose to not bow down to celebrities, singers, politicians, sports figures, etc. We must take action, too. Everywhere we read in the Bible about worship, it speaks about a posture. There are things we can do to worship with our body, soul and spirit! Here are some key verses:
- John 4:24 "Worship in spirit and truth."
- Genesis 24:26 (Abraham's servant after finding Rebekah who would become Isaac's wife) "Then the man bowed down his head and worshipped the Lord."
- 2 Chronicles 6:12 (after Solomon had made a bronze platform) he "knelt down on his knees before all the assembly of Israel and spread out his hands toward heaven..."
- Psalms 143:6 "I spread out my hands to You; My soul longs for You like a thirsty land."
- Philippians 2:10 "...at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, of those in heaven, of those on earth and of those under the earth."
- Psalms 47:1 "Clap your hands all you people! Shout to God with the voice of triumph!"
So when you worship, think about these postures you can take, this action you can do, worshiping the Lord:
- bow down
- kneel down
- spread out your hands to worship
- clap your hands
- shout for joy
Worship is the awareness of God's holiness and presence...
Let's be in His presence this week, worshiping the Lord Jesus as we celebrate His life, death and resurrection!!