Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Homeschool Hump Day Encouragement

Textbooks and workbooks and printables, Oh, my!

If you are  new to homeschooling, you no doubt have seen the vast collection of curricula available to us. Everything from hard cover textbook to spiral bound workbook, videos to CDs. It can be overwhelming to consider which path to choose for schooling your children! So which path do you choose?

I was talking with a friend who is new to homeschooling. She had so many questions about the variety of teaching tools available and where to begin, that she was practically in tears. I could tell she was overwhelmed, so I simply mentioned that until her child is in 3rd grade (or thereabouts), should could utilize those workbooks sold at stores like Walmart and Target. School Zone is one brand and I used them with all of my children. Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills is another.

As the children need more variety in the delivery of skills mastery, I turn to printables. These are worksheets found on websites that can be printed off for use as needed. Some of my favorite sites are:
Math Fact Cafe
ABC Teach
Crayola
Writing Wizard

I have used these for years and find these Websites provide a strong tool for reinforcing skills.

As for textbook, I didn't begin to collect these until my oldest was in Fourth Grade. I chose non-consumables (books that can't be written in and can be used by a umber of students year after year). Consumables are workbooks that can be used once usually by just one student and must be replaced. This will be a decision you make for your family based on how many children you have and if the others will be homeschooled as well.

Whatever type of curriculum you choose for your family, know that there is no right or wrong. You are not a cookie cutter homeschooling family. Your school doesn't look like mine and that is okay! 

You've got this, Homeschooling Mama!!


Lyn~

No comments:

Post a Comment