Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Homeschool Hump Day Encouragement

I remember when I was a new homeschooling mom. The choices in curricula were overwhelming, but I wanted to chose just the right one for my children. I also wanted to make sure I was within our state's compliance for homeschooling and wanted to keep detailed accurate records of all the work that each of my children did...every year! I had meticulous notebooks with schedules, lesson plans, attendance sheets, hours worked, etc. Still, something was missing.

I realized as I became consumed by these records and little details, I was missing out on some precious teaching moments with my children. I was concentrating more on making sure they finished the workbooks than allowing their exploration of the world around them. I was wrapped up in paperwork that I thought I needed to have in place. And I missed opportunities with my older children that I can't get back. Thankfully, I have been able to implement change with my younger children and they thrive on learning and investigating things that peak their interest.

Today, remember that it isn't necessarily about the paperwork, finishing the workbooks, having lists and schedules, and making sure documentation is in order. Take time to ask your children what they are interested in and begin showing them how to learn more about that topic. You'll open the floodgates of learning that will make them lifelong learners in all they do. And no amount of proper planning and paperwork can duplicate that!


Lyn~

No comments:

Post a Comment