Monday, September 28, 2015

Use It Or Lose It!

Have you heard  can't that saying before..."Use it or lose it"? What does that mean to you? In some instances it might mean a skill you learned in school, like quadratic equations or diagramming sentences. It might mean a coupon for a free latte. It could even mean the talent God has given you. And that is what I want to talk about today.

Each one of us was born with specific talents and gifts to be used in some way for the Kingdom of God. We were given the talent of writing or speaking or compassion or helping or service or a number of other things. And only you can use the talent you were given. I can't write stories in the same way my favorite authors write their stories nor will I reach the same people they will reach. It's the same thing with each of us. We may have similar talents, but they can and will be used to reach different people. 

Consider the master who gave his servants each a specific number of talents. To one he gave five, to another two and to another just one. What happened to each of those servants when they were given their talent? Here's what the Word says:


I want to be like those guys, don't you? But what about the third servant? The Scripture tells us that the last servant was afraid he would lose what he was given, so he hid that one talent! He buried it.
"And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’ “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents" (Matthew 25:25-26, 28).

How often have I thought my writing wasn't up to the same caliber as my favorite authors and thought there was no point to me writing my stories? More often than I should have, that's for sure. But I wrote them and I wrote them afraid. Afraid that I might fail, afraid that no one would buy my books and afraid that people would think my stories belonged in the garbage! But I chose not to hide and not to quit.

My dear sisters, whatever talent the Lord has given you, USE IT! Don't be afraid of what others might think. God gave you the talent He did that it would reach and touch even one person and change their eternity for good! Terri Savelle Foy says, "Someone is waiting on the other side of your obedience." Meaning, someone is waiting for you to do what God has called you to do! 

Start moving in your talent today! If you don't use it, just like the servant who hid his talent, it might be taken away...


Lyn~


No comments:

Post a Comment