Monday, July 20, 2015

Profession: More Than A Job

Valuing Your Words, Professing Who You Are

I recently spoke with some friends of mine who are struggling with knowing their callings, have a passion for one thing, but are forced to work in a different industry, and who just didn't know where to go from there.

I've talked about the power of our words. We bless the Lord with our words and we can curse ourselves just by the things we speak. I'm not talking about some sort of magic or anything like that (that is a post for another time!). I'm talking about being stuck where we are because of what we say about ourselves. We can be our harshest critics, too.

Years ago, people used to ask me what I did (assuming they were digging to see if I worked outside the home). My initial response often went something like this:

"Oh, I'm just a stay-at-home mom."
"I'm a homeschooling parent."
"I don't work outside the home."

You get the idea. I didn't really value my role as a homemaker. While that was my calling, to be a wife and mother, it wasn't my profession. I was a writer, and I still am. So why didn't I ever tell people that when they asked? I don't know the answer to that. All I know is I had a revelation that what I was saying was keeping me from reaching my goal and my passion. Many women who work outside the home are wives and mothers, but they also have professional careers, too. That's what they tell people they are and what they do. It's what they PROFESS to be!

When people ask you what you do, what do you say? Are you just a (fill in the blank)? You are what you say you are!

Lyn~






No comments:

Post a Comment