Friday, January 15, 2016

Friday 'Fess Up

My confession today is that I have a difficult time saying 'no' when asked to take on certain, or even more, responsibilities. There is a need at church, so I say 'yes'. There is a need at the youth organization I work with, so I say 'yes'. There is a friend in need, so I say 'yes'. There is a need at my kids' supplemental school, so I say 'yes'. But saying 'yes' as often as I do leaves me feeling stretched and my energy levels zapped. Can anyone else relate to that?

So, how do we stop the cycle of seeing a need and almost instinctively saying 'yes'? Tricia Goyer addressed this very thing in the book, "Lead Your Family Like Jesus." Tricia says that the first thing we must do as moms is to create a sort of mission and vision statement for not only our families but for ourselves as well. What do I mean by mission and vision statement? Statements that define what it is we want to do in our daily lives. To begin, first consider your mission and vision in general. Remember when we created our vision boards? Look at the items you placed on that. If there is a need, ask yourself if it aligns with any of the things on your vision board. If it doesn't, it may be a distraction that will keep you from achieving your overall goals. You have to say 'no'

I have wondered why I have such a difficult time telling others 'no', and I think it is because I don't like to let people down. But it's interesting to think that I don't mind letting myself down when it comes to putting obstacles in the way of accomplishing my own goals and specifically, the things that God has called me to do. Have you done that before?

Today, give yourself permission to say 'no'. Give yourself permission to put your mission and vision first. And give yourself permission to continue following the dreams the Lord put inside you!

Lyn~


No comments:

Post a Comment