Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Peace and the Single Mom: An Author Interview with Jennifer Maggio

Recently, I had the opporutnity to interview author Jennifer Maggio, founder of Life of a Single Mom Ministries. Her newest book, Pease and the Single Mom: 50 Moments of Calm in the Chaos, was launched this week! Learn more about Jennifer and her passion for ministering to single moms.


What inspired you to write your first book? Necessity. I had a burning desire in my soul to put my story on paper, a God-given passion to be transparent in hopes of encouraging other hurting women, abuse victims, and single mothers alike.
What book are you reading now? I am reading and re-reading the Psalms, right now. The honesty of the author, the peace offered there, it is like reading it for the first time.
What are your current projects? My latest release, Peace and the Single Mom: 50 Moments of Calm in the Chaos is a project that I’m super-excited about bringing to single moms everywhere. I am also founder of Overwhelmed: The Single Moms Magazine and The Life of a Single Mom Ministries, a global nonprofit that exists to help churches better minister to single moms. All of these projects keep me busy!
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? I love the latest book. I love the tranquil cover. I love that Peace and the Single Mom is written as if you are having a girl-chat on the sofa with a friend. I love that it teaches single moms to laugh again. I love that it is raw, real, honest.
Can you share a little of your current work with us? The Life of a Single Mom Ministries is my primary focus. The books I’ve written flow from what we are doing with the organization. There are 15 million single mothers in the U.S. and 2 out of 3 do not attend church anywhere. Yet, less than 1% of churches have a formal outreach and ministry program for single parents. My passion is helping churches formalize a support group, outreach program, and effective ministry for these precious parents, while also seeing this parent thrive. We believe no single mom should walk alone.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? I am a mom first. Time with my children is so very important, so sometimes, deadlines get pushed back or I write through the night, so I don’t miss anything.
Who designed the covers? Choose Now Publishing
What was the hardest part of writing your book? Time. Time is my worst enemy. So much to do, so little time.
Do you have any advice for other writers? Pursue your dream. Write because you have to. Write because it burns within you, not because you hope you’ll sell a million copies. God takes care of the rest.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Thank you. Thank you for the inspiring letters. Thanks for the social media shout-outs, the donations to our organization, the constant encouragement, and the support of book purchases. Everything I do is to see others come to know our amazing Heavenly Father. And I couldn’t do it without you.

Jennifer Maggio is an award-winning author of four books, including her latest release, Peace and the Single Mom: 50 Moments of Calm in the Chaos. She has appeared on countless radio and television programs. For more information, visit http://www.jennifermaggio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment