Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Author Interview: Meet Katie Horner!



Meet the Author of One Month Devotional "Putting on the Spirit"


1. What inspired you to write your first book?
I have always loved to write. I was one of those kids who had a gazillion note pads and packs of stationery hoarded away growing up. I have filled countless notebooks and diaries with my thoughts, poems, short stories and writings. I even wrote a letter to President Reagan once (but never mailed it). I always dreamed of becoming a published author, but it wasn't until recently that the digital technology and self publishing options have to made that dream a real possibility. 
At the beginning of 2013 I set several goals for myself including one about a book: I wanted to do the research and preparation this year so that I could publish an ebook in 2014. Well, on March 30th, I actually published on Amazon "Loving You Long Distance", followed by "Divine Design" on May 7th. I am very humbled and grateful that the Lord is blessing me to accomplish this goal of an ebook early and with more than one! 
"Loving You Long Distance" came out right before Easter and is meant to be a help to those families like my own who find holidays painful because of the distance separating us from relatives. We try very hard to keep our family ties strong and we wanted to share those ideas with others who may be wondering how to do it. 
"Divine Design" is a short Bible study that I wrote based on a couple of devotional talks I did for a group of ladies last year. And "Putting on the Spirit" started out as a couple of thoughts in a few blog posts that grew into a full fledged month long Bible Study. I'm SO very excited that the Lord is also giving us the opportunity to have these Bible studies translated into Spanish as well! 

2. Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing a book? 
So far the most challenging thing is the Bible studies is to keep a consistent voice and to keep it the same length for each days study. Sometimes there is just SO much... I'm so thankful for those of you who previewed "Putting on the Spirit" and gave such helpful feedback. 

3. Who is your favorite author?
Having been a book lover all of my life, I cannot answer this question with just one. There are SO MANY favorites! Growing up it was Lois Gladys Leppard, then Gilbert Morris, then Grace Livingston Hill, and Liz Curtis Higgs.... When I have time to read fiction I love the stories that are parallel to biblical stories or retell biblical stories as if they are biographies such as Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins series on the Gospels. Really there are just too many to name. I am also a nut for children's literature and LOVE great picture books: Patricia Polacco and Sarah Stewart to name a couple... and I have much respect for Andrew Clements as a young teen author... I could go on for days here friends... 

4. What books have influenced you most? 
As an adult my favorite devotional book of all time is "Streams in the Desert" by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman. I hope to one day write a one-year devotional as meaningful and timeless as hers. 
Books that have influenced my personal life: Grace for the Good Girl by Emilie P. Freeman and Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
Books that have influenced me as a wife: Created to be his helpmeet by Debi Pearl (disclaimer: I don't recommend this for everyone, but God used it greatly in our young marriage), Ribbing Him Rightly by Benneth Peters Jones, and The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Romance by Heidi St. John.
Books that have impacted me as a mother: Don't Make me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman, Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick, and Ish by Peter Reynolds (if you haven't read this picture book, you NEED to!)

5. What did you learn  from writing your latest book? 
 I'm learning to be patient, that good things take time. I'm also learning that often when God gives us things to share with others, it's because we (I) need the lesson more than anyone else. Be assured that if you write a book, you will be tested over your own content :) 

6. What other projects will you be working on in the near future? 
Once Putting on the Spirit launches, I will be concentrating on getting it and Divine Design published in Spanish. I am also working on a Biblical discipleship reference book for parents in Spanish, and the second and third grade levels of our Lemonhass homeschool curriculum for Spanish speakers which is scheduled to release Summer 2014. And of course Paradise Praises blog, and the Educando en el Hogar Spanish blog and bi-weekly radio show are ongoing projects. 

7. With all of the duties that you juggle, when do you fit in the time to write a book?
The ideas usually come easily, it's fleshing them out that takes time. I am blessed to have a very supportive husband who encourages my writing and willingly critiques what I write. He is my biggest fan and my Hero. Most of my writing is done between the kids' bedtime and midnight :) but occasionally when a big project is needing some attention or approaching a due date, we will arrange a way for me to have a few hours of no-kid quiet or even a day to myself to concentrate on the project. 


Katie and her husband Tap have been missionaries in Mexico since 2007. They homeschool their four children and minister through church planting, Bible training, bookstore ministry, and homeschool curriculum development.
Katie is a teacher at heart, and by trade, and loves to encourage women in their God-given roles through speaking, writing and blogging. She is the author of this and two other ebooks (at the date of this printing) as well as the Lemonhass homeschool curricu-lum for Spanish Speaking families.
Katie blogs about marriage, motherhood, and ministry at ParadisePraises.com and she blogs about home education (in Spanish) at EducandoEnElHogar.com.
She has guest posted on various other blogs in her niche and is also the host of Educando en el Hogar, an internet radio show that is part of the Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network.
See also:
Other notes of interest: Katie’s four favorite things are elephants, dark chocolate, the color purple and the mayan hammock in her living room. Oh and she’s due with baby #5 in early Feb. 2014.





No comments:

Post a Comment