Tuesday, July 1, 2014

TIP TUESDAY: Summer Beach Wave Hair

I love the beach! Ask anyone who knows me! I enjoy surfing, boogie boarding and picking up seashells. I also really like how my hair looks after a day in the salt water of the ocean. But being in Colorado, I never get to enjoy any of those things. I especially miss the look of my hair, so I started scouring the Internet looking for ways to capture that look by using products I have at home!
I happened to find a couple recipes for homemade beach wave spray! So I gave them a try.
(C) Jodi Cotten 2014

The first calls for:
8 ounces of water in a squirt bottle
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon of conditioner
1/2 teaspoon of hair gel
Mix all ingredients together in squirt bottle. Shake well before each use. Spray on damp hair. Scrunch and let air dry.

This one seemed to need more sea salt. I'll try adding more and see if that makes any difference. Other than that, it didn't really give me the beachy waves I was looking for.

The next recipe called for the addition of Epsom salt to the mix and used aloe vera gel instead of regular hair gel. Here's the recipe:
1 cup of hot water (not boiling)
2 tablespoons Epsom salts (or more for extra texture)
1/2 tsp Himalayan or Sea Salt
1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
1/2 tsp conditioner or a few drops of almond oil or jajoba oil

As with the previous recipe, all ingredients are added to the squirt bottle and mixed. I liked the addition of the Epsom salts, but I kept the hair gel instead of aloe. It worked better for me than the first recipe, but don't be afraid to play around and find the recipe that works best for your hair!

Enjoy your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment