Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sleepless Nights

When You Just Can't Get to (or Stay!) Sleep

For years I have battled sleeplessness.  It's not that I can't get to sleep;  I have a difficult time staying asleep.  Often, I pray for sweet sleep in the Lord, and He definitely hears and answers my plea.  But sometimes, He has something to say to me.  I believe it may be the best time for me to actually listen because I'm not running errands here or getting distracted there.  I'm mostly quiet.  The Lord knows in the wee hours of the morning, I have nothing to get in the way of Him speaking to me. 
I also think attitude has a lot to do with how we view being awake when we should be asleep.  I know for moms of littles, this time of interrupted sleep may mean less energy when that baby wakes up or your toddler wants mommy to play some more.  I know what it's like to try to carry on with daily chores, homeschooling, and the tasks of your everyday life all too well.  I would encourage you to take that time that you've had your sleep disturbed to seek the Lord.  Perhaps He is trying to speak to you at a time when you are most likely to hear and to listen.  Even if the Enemy was the cause of your sleep deprivation, God's Word says that "He works everything for good to those that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).  As a homeschooling parent, I look for teachable moments, those times when an opportunity to share and inpart knowledge on my kids, just present themselves.  God our Father is no different.  He takes every opportunity given to teach us when we are most receptive.  
So as I sit at my computer writing this post, I think about those of you who may be awake right now.  Not wanting to have your sleep interrupted; knowing a toddler waking up will soon greet you; and feeling like you just won't or don't have the strength you need to face your day.  Ask the Lord if there is something He needs to talk to you about.  Listen.  Wait for His response.  Ask Him to bring you sweet sleep in the evening.  And rest in His strength to have a good attitude throughout the rest of the day.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment