Monday, March 10, 2014

Ecclesiastes Week Three

This week, Ecclesiastes gets a little bit deeper, in my opinion. Here's what the verse says:
When we read that first line, "a time to kill," what is the first thing that pops into your mind? For me, I think of killing the bad seed I've sown with my words and my actions. I need to kill those thoughts of doubt, lack of self-worth, and envy. I need to tear up the seeds of anger and really, kill my old self and my old, fleshly wants, needs and thoughts. The Lord said in His word that we must die to our old self. That is what I think of when I read that part.
The next line talks about a time for healing. I think the author of Ecclesiastes was speaking both literally and figureatively. There is a time for us to heal from the wounds of a supposed friend who gossiped and spread rumors, from the pain of separation or divorce, from the broken heart of a child not living for the Lord, and for the death of a loved one. I think it also means it is going to take us sometime to heal from the death of our old self. We have to leave our "stinkin' thinkin'" behind and put on the mind of Christ in all that we do.
This leads right into the part about there being a time to break down. What does this line say to you? Does it mean we can break down emotionally? Does it mean we need to break down friendships, especially if they are damaging or breaking us down? I've thought about this verse and those are the things that came to mind. You know when a contractor is buidling a house and something isn't quite right with the foundation, often, if it is possible, he will tear up and break down that foundation in favor of creating a correct and strong, solid one. Breaking down those mindsets we've collected over the years that have damaged our foundation in the Lord must be a priority if we are truly going to live set apart lives.
The final portion of this verse tells us there is a time to build up. I look at this in two ways: we are to build each other up in our faith and we are to add on to what we already have. The Scripture tells us in 1 Corinthians 14:26 to "let all things be done in edification (building up)." First Thessalonians 5:11 says "therefore comfort each other and edify (build up) one another, just as you are also doing."
This week, consider what needs to be killed in your life, your words, your actions. Look at the healing that is taking place in your life as the Lord breaks down that foundation that has begun to crack and shift and see the wonderful things He is building up in you!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment