Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Homeschool Hump Day Encouragement

I woke up out of a sound sleep in a panic! "Have I taught my kids all that I should be? What if there are learning gaps because of a subject area I've neglected?" Early on in my homeschooling journey, these thoughts plagued me and caused me many sleepless nights.

Mom, I want to encourage you today that you are doing such a wonderful and empowering thing for your children as you homeschool them! You have chosen to put them first and show your children that there are so many important things you want each of them to learn that you personally have taken on the challenge of teaching them. That is a huge step for many of us. We know homeschooling is the right thing to do for our families, but still there are those thoughts of "What if..."
Let me tell you, those are not of God. He said in His word, "Teach them to your children and talk about them when you sit at home and walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them down and tie them to your hands as a sign. Tie them on your forehead to remind you, and write them on your door posts and gates" Deuteronomy 6:7-9, New Century Version.
Teaching our children of course involves academics like math, language arts, science and history. But it is also so much more than those core subjects. As homeschoolers, we have committed to building certain character traits in our children, morals, values and beliefs and we have made a pledge that we will teach our children about the Lord, His goodness, salvation, hope and the love of Jesus.
So if you are lying awake at night wondering if you're teaching all that you should or could or if your children will be lacking in some area, remember that the eternals thing you are teaching your children are important, too.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment