Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Promise Box: Sharing Our Treasures

Creating a Treasury of Scriptures and Stories for Our Families

I am so very honored to be a part of author Tricia Goyer's Fiction Book Launch Team this year!  I have enjoyed reading her books, and I'm gearing up to share my review of her most recent release, "The Promise Box."  I'll tell you a bit about a promise box first, then I would like to share my own favorite Scriptures and Bible stories with you.
According to the story, a promise box is a simple wooden box that contains treasured prayers and favorite Scripture verses of Lydia Wyse's mother.  It isn't until her mother's passing that Lydia finds the box and begins to realize that she longs for the Amish life once again.
I have been meditating on the Word for a little while concerning these treasured Scriptures and prayers of a mother to her husband and her children.  Here are a few of my favorite verses and prayers:
  • Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is older he will not depart from it (Proverbs 22:6)
  • Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matthew 6:33)
  • Let Your work [the signs of Your power] be revealed to Your servants, and Your [glorious] majesty to their children.  And let the beauty and delightfulness and favor of the Lord our God be upon us; confirm and establish the work of our hands--yes, the work of our hands, confirm and establish it. (Psalms 90:16-17)
  • He Who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress; My God in whom I trust. (Psalms 91:1-2)
The prayer of Jabez is one of my favorite prayers.  It's simple, clear and concise.  
"And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, 'Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory that Your hand would be with me and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain.  So God granted him what he requested"  (1 Chronicles 4:10).
Though the Bible is filled with amazing stories of triumph in the face of sure defeat, two of my favorite stories are of Joseph, Jacob's favorite son and Esther who saved her people from destruction.

What are some of your favorite Scriptures and prayers?  What stories of the Bible do you want to share with your children and others?

No comments:

Post a Comment