Thursday, July 11, 2013

Budget Homeschooling

You CAN Give Your Children a Great Education

A few weeks ago, I was looking over a homeschooling blog I follow.  One of the rather new homeschooing moms had asked how much other families spend on curriculum each year.  I was blown away at some of the answers parents gave!  Not that investing in curriculum is a bad thing, but it seemed excessive for this mother of eight.  I saw some parents had answered $100, $250 and even as high as $800...per child per year for home schooling!  I want to tell you that you don't have to spend a lot of money to give your children a very good education.  As a homeschooling mother, I believe part of my job is to spend wisely when investing in the education of my children.  Besides, spending more money doesn't necessarily mean a better edcuation! 

My first piece of advice is to decide what you want your children to learn.  
  • Are you looking for them to meet state Common Core standards?  
  • Do you want them to meet the standards of your local Christian school?  
  • Do you know what your children should know and learn in each grade level?
There are a few resources for identifying what you want your children to learn or what they should learn.  
  1. What Your___Grader Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
  2. Home Educator's Scope and Sequence by Accelerated Christian Education Curriculum
  3. Your own state's department of education Website
You can find a lot of worksheets for free online that will meet many of the lower grade requirements for subject matter.  Here are a few of my favorite sites:

And there are even full courses for free online for high school!  That really takes the pressure off of those of us who think we can't teach our children a particular subject.  Here are a few we've used:

Blessings!







No comments:

Post a Comment