Friday, July 26, 2013

How to Not Be Disappointed by People

It Matters Where You Put Your Faith and Trust

I can't begin to tell you how many times have I been hurt, disappointed, and brokenhearted by others.  As I mentioned yesterday, our experiences with people shape our future encounters, often for the worse as we begin to build walls against these things to keep from being wounded any further.  
I would like to tell you there is a simple formula to follow so that you can avoid being hurt.  The truth is, there really isn't one fix-all solution.  I can tell you that even in Biblical times folks dealt with being let down and disappointed, so it really isn't anything new.  The Word says, "Some trust in chariots, some in horses.  But we will trust in the name of the Lord our God!" (Psalm 20:7).  People will hurt us and disappoint us, but it is our reactions which we can control. 

Recently, someone deleted me on a social media site.  I don't know the true reason (although I believe it to have been something trivial), but I know the Word tells me that my God prepares a table for me in the presence of my enemies (Psalm 23:5) and that I am called to pray for those who persecute me (Matthew 5:44).  My reaction to the situation will either fuel it to cause emotions and tempers to escalate or will defuse the situation by my lack of response and my increase in praying for those involved.
Next time you're faced with being hurt and you want to lash out or retaliate, remember what the Lord tells us to do about those who break our hearts and cause us emotional pain.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment