Tuesday, July 2, 2013

TIP TUESDAY!!

Tip Tuesday--Getting Kids to Help With Chores

I would like to be able to tell you that my children always help with chores and go out of the way to volunteer to pick up, do dishes, and cook dinner every day.  The reality is, I sometimes have to ask several times before they even start to pick up.  I love the times when one of my children says, "Mom, can I clean out the fridge for you?"  What I want to focus on is how to keep them in a more regular lifestyle of servitude. So how do I do that?
  • Explain what that concept even means.  Kids need to know their role in keeping the house picked up.
  • Create chores lists.  This keeps kids on track.  It allows them to know what to do when.
  • Expectations of results should be clear and appropriate for the child's age.
  • Consequences should be relevant and fitting when chores haven't been completed.
  • Children should do chores because of their role in the family, not for money or rewards. (My personal opinion!  They should do it because they were asked and given a job).
What are your tips for getting kids to help with chores?



No comments:

Post a Comment